Two injured brothers forced to wait for eight hours unattended to as family raised money
Two boys who inadvertently detonated a bomb ordinance on Saturday, December 10, were left unattended at the Narok County Referral Hospital for eight hours while their family searched for funds to have them moved.
According to Emergency Plus Medical Services (Kenya Red Cross), Tenwek Hospital a private hospital in Bomet County demanded the family raise KES 100,000 in order for the boys to be transferred there. They were asked to pay KES 50,000 for each boy.
“They say we cannot be allowed to transfer them to Tenwek Hospital unless we have KES 100,000, yet this is an accident and an emergence,” said the father.
The ambulance company was ready to transport the injured children to Kenyatta National Hospital but the parents insisted their kin be taken to Tenwek hospital.
After an eight-hour search, the family was able to raise some funds, and Tenwek Hospital agreed to allow the boys to be transferred to the hospital at 9 pm last night.
Thomas Kunkuru (12 years old) and Raphael Kunkuru (6 years old) were critically injured with injuries to their eyes and legs.
They have been treated and are recovering.
The two boys were grazing their father’s flock when they found the bomb, and their curiosity led them to accidentally detonate it.
The tragedy at Narok Referral Hospital is the latest in a long sequence of failures at public hospitals, some of which have resulted in fatalities.
The Senate Health Committee, which is probing Maureen Anyango’s death, was told last week that it took more than two hours to transfer the severely ill patient from Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital to Kiambu Level 5 Hospital, a distance of around 20 kilometres.
The committee has been investigating the accusations since Anyango died after giving birth to twins at the institution.
Kiambu Level 5 Hospital officials informed the committee that the patient was admitted after midnight on September 7, but she died later that morning.