Three confirmed dead, 22 rescued in Kasarani collapsed building
Twenty-two people have been rescued from the building that collapsed in Kasarani on Tuesday afternoon.
Maurice Akech, General Manager for Research, Training, and Capacity Building at National Construction Authority (NCA) on Wednesday said so far three people have been confirmed dead from the building rubble.
The other two passed away today; one died while receiving medical attention, and the other was found dead in the rubble.
He said six out of the 22 rescued have suffered serious injuries.
Uncertainty exists regarding the number of people still trapped beneath the debris.
Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has said the developer of the building lacked permit, ignored warnings, and went ahead with construction.
On Wednesday, Sakaja paid a visit to the scene and declared that the county would file legal charges against the building’s developer and contractor.
‘This building had an enforcement notice since last year. NCA was here on Tuesday and closed the site but the contractor just went on. The developer did not get any permit from the county, he should be charged with murder,” Sakaja said.
The governor also requested that the National Construction Authority (NCA) submit a report of all buildings in the county that had been designated for cease orders so that appropriate action could be taken.