1998 bomb blast: Calls for compensation dominate memorial service
Leaders from across sectors flocked the memorial service at Bomblast Park for a service in remembrance of the August 7, 1998 bomb blast victims.
Azimio Principals Martha Karua, Kalonzo Musyoka and Eugene Wamalwa were among those in attendance.
The leaders called for compensation of the victims’ families to allow for closure.
“Let this be the year that we gain compensation and thus closure. The two governments must come together and see what can be done to the victims of the bomb blast,” Karua said.
Wiper Leader Kalonzo Musyoka said, “If lessons in Nairobi were taken seriously, the Westgate mall attack on September 11 might not have happened.”
He added that Kenya needed to work together with the world to ensure peace prevails.
A member of the American embassy, Doctor Ramona Tascoe said that US citizens had already been compensated and she was following up on the same for Kenyan Citizens.
On August 7, 1998, a bomb attacked the United States Embassy in Kenya, killing 213 people and injuring more than 5,000 others.
The blast masterminded by the Osama bin Laden-led Al Qaeda terror group killed 11 people at the US Embassy in Dar es Salaam and injured 85 others.
Among the victims were twelve Americans, including two CIA agents at the Nairobi embassy.